Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The Broken Sprocket " JAIL MONOPOLY "


This True story started back in 2002 ( Charlestown Rhode Island U.S.A. ) of which a brief incarceration for a non-conviction charge of a 45 day temporary sentence at the ( ACI  intake facility in Cranston Rhode Island )

So... I guess this story would officially start about two weeks inside of J-Block Top Tier post chow-time during our daily recreation breaks.

It was either I play Spades, Hearts or any other card game of the norm.
But I had a different game in mind....


Paper and pencils were basically all that we had for creative material, so making use of them would either be used for writing to family,friends as well as drawing ect.

One particular night I figured that a good way to make some extra time go by a little faster was to create some fun out of it if possible.

So I put an order in for a notepad and a pencil of which this home-made MONOPOLY  Board would be created from.

I used the cardboard backing of the notepad for the actual board itself that i managed to actually remember every real-estate spot and monetary denomination.

The hardest part doing all of this was trying to recall all of the community chest and chance cards accurately. It's not like we could just go online and copy it or anything, So in doing this part of the project, I had to improvise a little bit such as: instead of Collect $50, it was replaced with GO TO JAIL and do not collect $50.00 which could not be any more ironic and funny at the same time.

The money... Well that was not too difficult to make. I managed to make tiny bills in the $1,$5,$10,$20,$50,$100, and $500 amounts, that were individually drawn and labeled from those tiny pieces of paper from the actual notepad paper pad.
My cellmate had a razor that I took apart and separated the small blade of which I used to cut out the small bills for a clean cut. "had the corrections officers noticed or asked, this probably would have been a violation subject to a segregated offense and possible increase in incarceration 
But it went O.K. without incident.

Instead of the traditional $12,000 or so that would normally come with an actual PARKER BROTHERS game, I made about $25,000 for the bank for all of us to work with.

The property cards were made in much the same fashion with the exception of larger size much like the real game. I hadn't bothered to make mortgages due to the fact that I figured we were all here in actual jail and the chances of my current company that were playing the game would actually have the morality to play by the rules, never-the-less get far enough to a mortgage process.

(THE DICE) were tricky at first, But I came up with a decent idea that would ensure it would be successful. 1-pencil cut in two pieces and each side dotted and imprinted with indented dots to represent the 1-6 on each Die.
Rolling them sideways would allow a different combination of numbers much like dice being thrown.
I do suppose if Dice were allowed there would be illegal CRAPS GAMES going on everywhere for commissary 

After about two days, the whole game was finished and was ready to play.
So... I rounded up a few inmate prisoners to throw down some time to play.
one guy was a bank robber, one guy was in for holding up a pizza guy with a dangerous weapon, one guy was in for non-payment of child support, and the forth player was myself.

Let the game begin...

I landed here and there, they landed there and here, I lost and gained  few bucks here and there, as did.

One of the guys was stealing money out of FREE PARKING a few times,
Another guy would land on a property that he didn't pay rent on.
Another guy was handing $500's under the table to another guy.
Pretty much the shadiest MONOPOLY GAME I have ever played in my entire life....
 But it was all in the name of killing time and reinforcing the fact that some people will never play by the rules....


by 
Jason Matthew Mahan 














No comments:

Post a Comment